Tasks are a big part of our lives. We have developed the easiest and most intuitive way to let you collaborate on shared plans and goals in every aspect of your life.
Below are the features that we have made possible in Freedcamp so as to allow our users to make the most out of our Tasks application:
- List, Kanban and Gantt (Business and Enterprise plans) views: Choose the way you want to work with tasks.
- One-click actions: Allow you to quickly complete tasks and move on.
- Easily manage tasks in List view with drag and drop
- Assign a task to multiple users(paid plans only)
- Copy and move tasks and task lists
- Due dates daily or weekly recap email notifications
- Start dates (paid plans only)
- Subtasks (available on Free and paid plans as Subtasks Pro)
- Subscribe people to follow.
- Attachments and inline images.
- Reschedule in bulk with Shift dates
- Logically combine Tasks into lists and archive completed lists easily.
- Use Widgets, Calendar, and Tasks Boards to see your tasks across one or multiple projects.
- Works great with Milestones application, you can link an existing Task with a Milestone.
- Never miss updates with custom email notifications and Notifications page right inside Freedcamp.
- Export and import tasks to/from XLS
- Create new tasks by email with Email In (paid plan feature)
- Build custom reports with Data Feed Links (paid plan feature)
- NEW: Check the status of your projects with reports (Business and Enterprise plans)
Please check our Add-ons for more information.
Adding-Removing the Tasks Add-On
By default when you create a project, the Tasks add-on is already installed together with Discussions, Calendar and Files. If you'd like to remove this add-on or manage which users have access to it, please see this documentation article.
To access the Task application, click the checkmark icon in the project picker menu (1) or in the project list on the Homepage or the Project Board(2):
Adding a Task
While inside a project, you can switch to Tasks application (3) and click (4) to add a new task. You can also use 'Quick Add' (5) to add a new task to any project from anywhere as shown below:
In List view, use A or B to add a task directly to a task list. Hover mouse to access add subtask (C).
In Kanban view, use A or B/C to add a task directly to a task list. Hover mouse to access add subtask (D).
In Gantt view, use A or click task list ... as shown in (B) to add a task. Click ... for a task to add a subtask as shown in (C).
Inserting the task’s details
Below screenshot illustrates the details that you will require to fill out when adding your task:
(A) Click on the drop-down menu to select your Task List or add a new Task List
(B) Start date is only available on Business and Enterprise plans.
(C) Click on “Browse Files” from your computer or any external device to upload your file. Use the “drop a file here” option to directly drop your selected file. Attach your file directly from your Google Drive, DropBox, and OneDrive (should be enabled by the project owner and available on all plans except Free plan).
Freedcamp allows you to edit your task using 2 ways.
- Select the required task by clicking onto it (1).
- Hit the "Edit" button (2).
- Edit and save your changes.
- Do a mouse over onto the required Task and click on the "Pen" icon (1).
- Edit and save your changes.
- Drag and drop in List view.
You can delete your task using 2 ways.
- Select the required task by clicking onto it (1).
- Hit the "Delete" button (2).
- Do a mouse over onto the required Task and click on the "Bin" icon (1).
Recover Deleted Tasks
You recover deleted tasks by going to the project's Bin page.
Assigning a Task to Multiple Users
On the paid plans, you can assign a task to multiple users using subtasks. This can only be done when creating a task, not when editing it. Go to the Notify section(1) on the task creation form, select the users you want and click the button on the right(2). After saving the task, our system will create a subtask assigned to each user in the Notify section. The subtasks will have the same title, priority, custom fields values and start/due dates as their parent task. The task’s description and attachments will not be copied over.
note: In order for the subtasks to be created, the users need to have a permission level above Guest and Read-Only. If you add 5 people to the Notify section: 1 Guest, 1 Read-Only, 2 Users and 1 Pro User, we will create 3 tasks, not 5.
You can logically combine Tasks into Lists and archive completed lists easily.
1 - Task Lists
2 - you can collapse and expand your task lists
In the Gantt view
Note: You can set percentage of completion on your tasks lists in the same way you can do it for tasks.
Click (3) to access Task Lists option (4).
You can also access it from the cog wheel menu (5) and (6).
Reorder Task Lists
There are two ways to reorder your task lists.
(1) Click on the settings icon in the top right of the page and select Manage Task Lists.
(2) Click on the 3-dot icon next to a task list and select Reorder Lists.
View Archived Task Lists and their Tasks
On your Tasks page, if you hit on the cog wheel icon, you will see “View Archived Task Lists” page.
In archived Tasks Lists, you can unarchive task list (1) or go back to active Task Lists (2).
Sorting, filtering, and searching will also work while you are in archived task lists view mode.
- We only allow archiving task lists, not individual tasks.
List, Kanban and Gantt Views
When you sign up and create your very first project, we prompt you to select a preferred way of working with your tasks. You have two default options namely (1) Task list, (2) Sticky Notes and (3) Gantt Chart.
- Gantt Chart is only available under our Business Plan. You can click here to have more details on our different plans, pricing and features.
After your project has been created, you can change your preferred view for it from the settings menu.
How to switch detail levels in Kanban
You can switch between the three types of detail levels in Kanban from very brief to full details.
How to expand and collapse Kanban columns
All three Kanban columns can be expanded and collapsed by clicking on their header. If you noticed that all of your tasks have become narrow, you must have accidentally collapsed all three columns. You only need to click on each column’s header again to restore it back to the standard view.
Recurring tasks (and recurring Calendar events) are only available on our paid plans. To make a task recurring, simply check the Repeat slider when creating or editing it.
A task will be created for each recurrence. The recurrences will have the same title as the original task, and the same description, attachments, and people following it. Comments and their attachments are not copied over.
If you'd like to edit the recurrence settings or stop the cycle, you will need to edit the original task, which has a refresh icon next to its name.
You will be able to see the upcoming recurring tasks in the Calendar, Daily Recap, Homepage and receive an email notification for a person assigned to the new task being created.
There are some limitations:
- You can not create a recurrent subtask in a recurrent task
- You can not make a task recurrent if it already has a recurrent subtask
In order to not crowd your calendar or tasks page too much, we only create recurring tasks in advance as long as the new recurrence falls into a time interval of the next 7 calendar days from today, and no more than 1 task per day will be added.
But if you'd like them to be created sooner, there's the option to generate the next recurrence on the page of the original recurring task.
You can shift the start and end dates of your tasks by clicking the 3-dot icon next to them, then selecting Shift Dates. Doing this to a task will also change the dates of its subtasks.
You can also use the Shift Dates function on an entire task list.
You can change your tasks to be done sooner by entering a negative value in the Days Offset field, or later by entering a positive one.
By default this will affect both the start and the end dates, and only target not started tasks. You can change the settings by clicking on the More Options button.
Copy/Move tasks and task lists
You can copy/move tasks with subtasks and task lists.
Please note that an ability to copy and move tasks and tasks lists between projects is added to all paid plans. Please start your 14 days trial on our pricing page.
Tasks cannot be copied or moved across accounts - both source and destination projects must belong to the same Freedcamp account. An account owner, project group and project administrators, as well as Pro Users (default team is Team Player), can copy and move tasks and task lists between projects. You can only see projects you can copy/move to when you do it. If some projects are not shown - you either have no permissions to copy/move to it or they belong to another Freedcamp account.
To access copy/move for task lists - please use task lists context menu:
To access copy/move for tasks and subtasks - please use a (sub)task context menu:
To copy/move a task list:
(1) - select a project. You can copy task list in the same project with the same or new name or move all tasks in a task list to another existing task list in the same project (bulk move all tasks in task list A to task list B).
(2) - use 'More Options' to be able to copy/move to a new task list or to an existing task list in a destination project (3)
(4) - 'Move' button will be enabled if you selected another project or task list (if you copy in the same project)
To copy/move a task with subtasks:
(1) - select a project. If you will keep the project name the same - you can copy a task in the same project with the same or new task title or move a task to another existing task list in the same project.
(2) - select a task list to copy/move to
(3) - use to copy/move to a new task list (you will be prompted to specify its name)
(4) - use 'More Options' to be able to change task title (available for both copy and move actions)
'Move' button will be enabled if you selected another project, task list (if you copy in the same project) or specified new task title.
If a copied/moved task contains no files attached (including comments) it will be done instantly. In all other cases including all operations with copying/moving task lists - Freedcamp will create a background job to copy/move tasks and you will be notified when it is done by email.
Change Task Order
You can easily change your tasks’ order by simply hold and drag them to the order that you require. Please refer to the GIF animated file for more details.
Sort and Filter
The tasks application allows you to:
1. Sort by (1) your Tasks by: Priority, Start Date, Due Date, Progress, Date Created, Date Updated, Date Completed, Alphabetical, Set Order.
2. Filter by (2) your tasks by: Created By, Assigned To, Priority, Progress, Start Date, Due Date, Date Created, Date Updated, Date Completed, Milestone Linked, Availability, Tags.
After applying a text search or filters, you can save that search for later use. You can also share a saved search with other project members by making it 'public'. For example: if you apply a filter to see only tasks assigned to you and save that search as ‘My Tasks’ and make it ‘public’, the team member who uses the search will see their own tasks, as the ‘Me’ in the Assigned To filter will be substituted for the person using it.
We created one saved filter ‘Hide completed’ which replaces an option we had in our interface for you.
Autogenerated Task Numbers
Freedcamp can't automatically generate task numbers, but there's a workaround using a chrome extension. More info here.
You can export your tasks using our Export XLS feature. This feature works on both the Tasks page and Task Board and allows you to export all tasks or the ones you filtered by.
Assigning tasks to multiple team members or teams. Please upvote here.- completed
Copy and move tasks and task lists in the same or another project.- completed
Start date- completed
Time and tasks integration. Please upvote here.
Add more statuses for Tasks. Please upvote here.
Reports(completed and part of Freedcamp Business and Enterprise plans). Check more in documentation and our recent update.