Project Group Administrators
The Project Group Administrator is the second most powerful permission level in a project group, after the Owner. These users can create, edit, and deactivate projects, and also delete projects they created(but not projects the account owner or other project group administrators created). They can manage users - add or remove them from projects in the project group, and change their permissions as well as add and remove project applications and project group application.
Project Group Administrators do not have access to subscription and billing information in the owner’s account.
We shared our best practices for assigning Project Group Administrators on this page.
Adding a Project Group Administrator
You can’t invite someone as a Project Group admin, but once you’ve added them to your project, you can make them Project Group Administrator in that group.
You can give a user the Project Group Admin permission level from the Project section of your Manage System page.
Or from your group’s Users section on the Manage System page.
Note: Once you make someone a group administrator, they will disappear from your Project Teams in the Project section, but will still be visible on the Project Users page.
You can see 5 users (1-5) in a project but if you switch to ‘Project Users’ view (8) you will see project group administrators and a project owner who added to this project implicitly.
Removing a Project Group Administrator
You can remove a Project Group Administrator from your group’s Users section on the Manage System page.
Once you remove them, they will revert to the permission level or user team they previously had. For example:
Maria was invited to 2 projects in project group A containing 10 projects. John set her as a project group administrator and Maria was able to see and manage all 10 projects in the project group A. Later, John demoted Maria from project group administrators and now she only has access to the 2 projects she was originally invited to.
If a user, before being promoted as a project group administrator, was not invited to any projects a demotion from the project group administrator role will deny access for such user to all projects in this project group.
Removing a Project Group Administrator from your account
Your group’s Users section on the Manage System page also offers the option to remove an admin globally.
If you’re on a paid plan, you can remove a Project Group Administrator from your account by going to My Account > Subscriptions > Invoices & History.
What Project Group Administrators can and can’t do
A project group administrator can:
- Create, edit, and deactivate projects
- Add/remove global teams to projects and change their permissions for a project
- Delete projects they created, but not projects the account owner or other project group administrators created.
- Move projects between project groups if both groups have the same owner and they’re set as project group administrators on both of them.
- Create reports of projects in the project groups they are admin(if the groups belong to the same owner, who is on the Business or Enterprise plans)
- Add or remove users from projects and change their permission levels
- Add and remove project applications and project group applications, and manage user access to them
- Add and remove Custom Field Templates to/from projects
A project group administrator can not:
- Enable/disable Email In
- Create/manage Custom Field Templates
- Enable/disable Data Feed Links
- Create/edit/delete Global Teams
- Manage Subscriptions
We are working on a SysAdmin concept which will allow them to do all of the above, except have access to plan upgrade/downgrade and payment details.